P.O.E.: Peace on Earth and Purity of Essence. 100 points to Sue for providing the answer! For those of you who have no idea what all of this means, I genuinely feel sorry for you because that means you’ve been deprived of one of the best movies of all time, “Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb.” I mean, seriously, go find a copy and watch it NOW! “Dr. Strangelove” is one (there are many) of the movies from which I quote quite a bit in day-to-day conversation, so it’s very important that the people in my life understand these obscure references when they arise.
Today’s workout was the last of Week 1 for the Two Hundred Sit Ups program, the details of which can be seen below.
Sit up workout details (Day 3, first column):
- 6, 7, 6, 6, 26; performed with 60 second break between reps
- 51 total
- I just noticed that I accidentally followed the first column instead of the usual second, so today’s numbers will be lower than normal.
Apart from doing my scheduled workout I also got my hair cut again. It’s a bit shorter than what I wanted/expected, but I think I like it. I’ll probably let it grow out and cut it again (but not as much) in early August before I ship off to boot camp. Enough talk about my hair, I guess I should show you a picture already :)
I should have just kept it like that, right?
What do you think? I still have to play around with it to find a style I like.
It’s not the best picture to showcase my new hair cut, but that’s all I’ve got right now. I’ll make sure to post a better one when it comes along. I almost forgot to mention that I learned a nifty styling trick from Melissa (the lady who usually cuts my hair) at the salon. Since I won’t be able to take my own hair products to boot camp, she suggested that I use a penny size amount of lotion (if the Navy gives me lotion, that is), as a replacement for gel/styling wax, to tame my hair after a shower. I would never have thought to put lotion in my hair, but I’m sure that the tip will come in handy if/when my hair becomes unruly. Tomorrow’s post will cover the last push up workout for Week 1 and another acronym guessing game that’s a bit easier than P.O.E.–make sure to check in again! In the meantime, have you ever cut your hair really short before? Any tips on styling (besides lotion) without any products?
It’s 8 o’clock and all is
well somewhat better! The sore throat and other symptoms are gone, but the cough remains. So I made the executive decision to put the heavy breathing exercises (aka Body Rock and Cto5k) to Monday and give my lungs a break. Taking a shower, changing out of my “sick” clothes, and generally cleaning up from my hermit routine helped a lot with the healthier feeling. Believe me, you didn’t want to see what I looked like. Imagine Snape’s greasy head of hair atop a sweatshirt/yoga pant wearing vagrant girl surrounded by two dogs on a couch and you might be close to a mental picture of my appearance for the past few days. After tidying up I finished today’s sit up workout (specifics seen below) and filled in all the yummy stuff I ate in my food journal.
Sit up workout details (Day 2, second column):
- 9, 12, 9, 9, 23; performed with 60 second break between reps
- 62 total
- I posted the link to my blog on Facebook yesterday and my friends came through in BIG way! The Navy and Me was visited 61 times in one day–the record before that was 19!–and 3 more people decided to follow my updates. Thank you so much to everybody who stopped by yesterday, you couldn’t have surprised me more with your turnout. Looking back, I probably shouldn’t have been so worried about sharing my posts on Facebook, but now that I know that it’s not the end of the world I’ll share all the time.
- Friday I will be getting my hair styled/cut (finally!) after chopping it off for the donation a week or so ago. I’m obviously going to let her give me some suggestions, but I think I want something like a mix between the two picture below. As I get closer to boot camp I’ll probably have my hair chemically straightened so I won’t have to worry about doing anything to it while I’m there.
Ginnifer Goodwin's pixie cut from her role as Snow White/Mary Margaret Blanchard in "Once Upon a Time"
Ashley Greene's pixie cut wig she wears while playing Alice in "Breaking Dawn"
Tomorrow’s post will be shorter since I’ve decided to push the running/interval training to next Monday, but I hope that all of you will still keep checking in! In the meantime, what are your thoughts on the blog so far? Are there things you’d like to see more or something that I haven’t been doing? How about the pictures and ideas for my haircut(s): thumbs up or down?